Masters Degree Thesis Grant
Since 1991, the Four Corners Geological Society and later its Foundation have given financial aid to 41 master’s degree candidates working on geoscience theses in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Available funds vary but we usually make 1-3 grants per year in the $500 to $1000 range.
In order to be considered, a thesis must contribute to regional geologic knowledge in at least one of these states (CO, UT, NM, AZ) and be acceptable to the selection committee. Thesis disciplines may include (but are not limited to) general geology, geophysics, environmental geology, and hydrology.
• Applicants must be full-time graduate students enrolled at an accredited college or university.
• They must be citizens of the United States of America.
• Applicants cannot be immediate family members of any selection committee member.
• Applicants must provide complete and accurate information (failure to do so will jeopardize a grant).
How To Apply
- Download the application and carefully read the Overview, Grant Information and Qualifications.
- Complete the two-page application form in full, remembering to sign and date it. Letters of reference are not needed but we ask for the names of three references and their phone numbers.
- Attach the following information:
- A brief description of your thesis (no more than two pages of text; an optional third page may have illustrations and/or a few reference citations). Please emphasize the problem you’re addressing, why you’ve chosen this project, and its importance and potential contribution in your subject of interest. Include your purpose, research strategy, study area, and methods.
- A 1-2 page resume emphasizing relevant skills and accomplishments.
- Your completed application must be submitted by email only no later than Mar 1, 2023. Questions and your completed applications should be addressed to Gordon Greve at the address in the application form.
- All applicants will be notified about their status by email from the Foundation’s Selection Committee around April 1, 2023.