Masters Degree Thesis Grant
The amount of financial assistance will be in the $750 to $1,500 range, with the exact amount to be determined by the Four Corners Geological Society Committee. Recent awards have ranged around $1,200 and there could be more than one recipient if the selecting committee chooses to do so.
- To apply for the Master Degree Thesis Grant Program the following qualifications must be met
- Eligible applicants must be full-time graduate students enrolled at an accredited college or university.
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States of America.
- Applicants cannot be an immediate family member (son or daughter) of a Four Corners Geological Society Selection Committee member.
- Applicants must provide complete and accurate information to the Society, failure to do so will place his/her application or grant in jeopardy.
- The Society reserves the right to be reimbursed for funds allocated to the Grantee if major alterations in the thesis content are made and not approved.
- The Society requires one bound copy of the completed thesis. Additionally, regular written updates to the Society may be required.
- The Society reserves the right to publish all or part of the Grantee’s thesis as part of any Four Corners Geological Society publication.
- Closely read the Overview, Grant Information and Qualifications.
- Complete the attached two-page application in full, remember to sign and date the application. Note that Letters of Reference are not requested; however, three references and their respective phone numbers are.
- Attach the following supplemental information with your application.
- A brief description of your thesis, consisting of no more than two typed pages. Be sure to emphasize the problem you are addressing, why you’ve chosen the project and explain its importance and potential contribution in your field. In addition, be sure to include a description of your research strategy, explaining what steps will lead you to answer the questions you hope to address.
- A current resume.
- Unofficial graduate and undergraduate transcripts.
- Your application must be postmarked no later than May 20, 2018. All applicants will be notified by the Society of their status by June 8, 2018. Questions regarding the program should be addressed in writing to email address below and we will respond as quickly as possible.
- Send your completed application to:
Joe Hewitt Committee Chairman
Four Corners Geological Society
1980 Lions Trail
Farmington, NM 87401
Questions may be sent through our contact form.
The FCGS in cooperation with the Four Corners Geological Society Foundation awards grants annually to Masters Degree students and to Fort Lewis College seniors.
You may make a tax deductible donation to our foundation, using PayPal, by clicking on the Donate button.
FCGS Foundation President
FCGS Foundation Secretary
FCGS Foundation Treasurer