- This event has passed.
JUNE FIELD TRIP: Geology of the Ouray Area
June 1 - June 2$85.00
This 2-day trip will explore geologic history of the Ouray area which spans 1700 Ma and preserves a nearly complete Paleozoic to Cenozoic history punctuated by mountain-building events, magmatism, and mineralization. This area has been called the Switzerland of Colorado for good reason, as it provides an excellent and diverse history presented in a steep, mountainous terrain. With stops and short hikes, we will explore Proterozoic to Cenozoic events recorded in the Ouray area with emphasis on Proterozoic basement, Pennsylvanian-Permian tectonics and depositional histories, 70 to 5 Ma magmatic events, and mineralization.
June 1, Saturday: Proterozoic basement history and Cambrian-Pennsylvanian record, San Juan Formation.
June 2, Sunday: Ancestral Rockies uplift and sedimentation, overview of Cenozoic history, magmatic history and clastic dikes, and selected stops focused on mineralization.
- Pre-trip social hour May 31, ~5:30 to ~7:30pm on Ouray Brewery rooftop.
- Meet at 7:40am both mornings in Hot Springs parking lot at the north end of town. We will consolidate into carpools and non-drivers can leave their vehicles in the parking lot.
- We will provide make-your-own lunches and lunch beverages.
- ** Included in trip fee** Enjoy Saturday night dinner catered by Secret Garden.
- We will return each day by 5:00pm.
- Please Note – moderate hiking so please wear hiking boots or sturdy shoes.
Transportation: – Carpools
- We need drivers with a vehicle that can carry 4 to 8 people, preferably 5 or 6
- Caravan size needs to be limited to around 6 vehicles
- Fee: $85 per person Includes lunches, Saturday dinner, snacks, water & lunch drinks.
- Guests not attending field trip may join us for Saturday Dinner for $30.
- Download and print your own Guidebook before the trip.
- Itinerary can be found here.
- Guidebook can be found here.
- Supplemental handouts can be found here: The Pennsylvanian Hermosa Formation Field Guide & Field Guide Figures.
- You should reserve your hotel room soon! Memorial Day (the weekend before our trip) marks the start of the busy season in Ouray (you can always cancel later if needed). The Ouray area offers several overnight options to choose from. Click Here For Ouray Visitors Bureau Lodging
- We have blocked out rooms at the Twin Peaks Lodge and Hot Springs for the nights of May 31 and June 1.
- Click Here for Twin Peaks Reservation Rate will be $125/night for a King or 2 queens. This rate is good until May 1. To register online Enter 26726 in “Group ID” box right above the “Check Now” button. To register by phone, ask for the Four Corners Geological Society rate or Group Code 26726.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Twin Peaks cancellation deadline for this rate is May 1.
- Opens April 19 at 6:00AM MST through the Four Corners Geological Society website.
- Must be a member to participate. To Join FCGS: Click Here to Become a Member
Cancellation Deadline for Refund for FCGS FIELD TRIP:
- May 15th
Please bring a signed copy of the Field Trip liability release with you on June 1 to Ouray. Download the waiver here: Ouray Field Trip Release Form